Thursday, June 9, 2011

Bukhara -- Day One

This past weekend the boys and I traveled to Bukhara and Samarkand.  It was OLD and amazing.  I'll post photos by the day to keep the posts a bit shorter.  If you are interested you can read here about the history of this 2500 year old city.

We happened upon a parade as we walked out of our hotel.  The city is famous for their puppets and puppet shows.


A lady making music with plates in the parade.


This is my favorite photo from the trip.  These girls in traditional dress were enjoying ice cream after the parade.


During Vic's nap, Seth and I read National Geographic in the courtyard of our B&B.


Uzbek pottery


Kalyan Minerate, built in 1127, spared by Ghengis Khan because he was so impressed.


You can make out Craig and the boys at the bottom, for perspective.


Entrance to a medrassa.


Seth tends to be shy when folks don't speak English but not at this moment.  Craig and I lost him for a moment and found him here, chatting with this store owner and sharing sunflower seeds.


A door his size.


Doors of a traditional home.  I like them.

4 comments:

  1. I like the doors too! And I'm pretty sure I have a plate that exactly like one of the ones in the photo of the pottery that I got in Kazakstan. Speaking of...do they have chai cups there? If so, I may need you to buy me some and I'll pay you to ship them to me. I'm wanting to decorate a long high window sill with them but I only have like four and need several more.

    And I'd also be so interested to know how the lady made music with the plates without breaking or chipping them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pictures are great. I look forward to following you on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa! LOVE these pics! Truly breathtaking--I can only imagine what it must have been like in real life!!

    ReplyDelete