Sunday, August 18, 2013

Happy Birthday in Russian


Seth's school always celebrates birthdays, and he had been anxiously awaiting his turn as the birthday boy.

Here is Seth's class and his teacher singing the birthday song and walking around Seth.  (This was just before they headed out to play and swim.)  I have no idea what was being said, but it was really sweet.



Then, Seth blew out his candle and took a big, face first bite of his cake, per tradition, we suppose.  Then, the kids smeared the icing on his face.  I think this is a beautiful little cake.  I bought it from the grocery store where I normally shop.  I had asked at least three people if I needed to order ahead or just go get one when I was ready.  All assured me that I did not need to order.  So, on the day of, I went to the grocery store and asked for one of the ten or so cakes behind the glass.  The girls refused to give me one after they found out it was for children.  I stood and waited forever while they brought out one of the cakes made just that morning. I begged in my best Russian for one of the already prepared cakes sitting behind the counter.  They wouldn't budge and insisted that I could only have a "fresh" one.   I was then running stressfully late to Seth's school.  I suppose they waited patiently for us, but I'm certain we cut into their playtime.  At least they got a slice of cake.  
Vic was majorly distraught that he didn't get to eat the first cake, so we bought another exactly like the first and celebrated as a family in the evening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment